[mythtv-users] mythtv in Sweden

Niklas Brunlid prefect47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:29:35 UTC 2011

My mythbox has survived in Lund (southern end of Sweden) since 2004 through
a number of hardware iterations. Still has the original database, too. =)

I currently run an i7 system on Fedora 15 (KDE spin) with all Hauppauge
cards:
* Nova-T 500 for DVB-T.
* PVR-500 for analogue cable.
* PCTV 290e DVT-C/DVB-T2 USB stick.

The USB stick is new since DVB-T2 started here 6+ months ago and I want to
try to get the (few) HD channels that are unencrypted. Everything else Just
Works (tm) although I did inherit a lot of the config from my old system
that ran Fedora 13. :)

Since I live in an apartment I have basic SD analogue/digital cable through
ComHem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Com_Hem>, the biggest cable company.
It's included in my rent and gets me 15 channels, 6 of which I also get for
free over DVB-T. Due to lack of free time I don't see the point of paying
for more channels since I won't have time to watch more than I already
record anyway...

ComHem has a bad reputation for various reasons (bad customer service, old
infrastructure hardware, etc) but it's my only option atm. Alternatives are
CanalDigital, ViaSat, KabelVision. You can also get shared cable nets in
some apartment buildings (satellite dish or shared OTA antenna). Of course,
if you move to your own house you get more options.

I guess the biggest change will be how few channels you get unless you pay
for extra (encrypted) ones. And the delay to get US shows. And the long but
far-apart commercial breaks.

/ Niklas