[mythtv-users] I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 working in 0.24-fixes (compiled with custom code)

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:45:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> >>  (when you have a cablecard, it always
> > seems to say "Copy Control Information: "Copy Free" (00)", even if
> > it's an unencrypted QAM channel)
>
> The encryption state and the copy control state are completely
> independent concepts.  Here on Verizon Fios, I have a bunch of
> unencrypted channels marked as Copy Once.  I can record them just fine
> with an HDHR (not Prime) but they're blocked if I try to get them over
> firewire to a STB.  So it's perfectly reasonable for the page to list
> the CCI for all channels, even those which aren't encrypted.
>
> Eric

You are correct, encryption and copy protection are completely different.  I
think rules for unencrypted but copy protect content is undefined.  It is
completely up to the device manufacturer about what to do because there are
no CableLabs certifications required for clear-QAM tuners.  However,
CableLabs probably requires certified OCURs, such as the Ceton and PRIME, to
respect the copy protection flag independent of the existence of encryption.

You can read about how the Ceton will handle this situation at the following
link:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2/0/copy-protection-flags

It looks like this problem is a definite possibility.  If this problem
affects anyone, then I would get on the horn with your provider an complain
FWIW.

-Tom