[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jul 28 19:38:51 UTC 2011

On 28 Jul 2011, at 19:58, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>>> I have my doubts about that.  You're basically saying that your TV
>>> will have a much better picture when decoding compressed video
>>> internally than any possible signal delivered via HDMI.  If that's the
>>> case, then I'd say your TV has a broken HDMI input implementation.
>>
>> He's saying that the decoder, renderer, and scaler know the exact
>> capabilities of the TV, and thus are tuned to best deliver high quality
>> video.
>
> But the statement "much better picture quality than *any* Myth
> frontend" (emphasis added) implies that it is not possible to
> similarly tune an HDMI source, no matter how much you want to work at
> it.

To achieve the tricks that some plasmas do you'd have to drive the HDMI at 1080p600, then you could get parity.

That said "almost all" TV's don't do this and "almost all" viewers wouldn't notice :-)

> I'll accept the following:
>
>  DLNA can give a somewhat better picture quality than a typical
> off-the-shelf Myth frontend.
>
> If you want to go further than that, I have some Monster cables you
> might be interested in...

Nah, it's just bits, I buy £5 hdmi cables, they do the job perfectly.

Going back on topic, don't completely dismiss DLNA, it's a very neat solution and with the right TV can give excellent results.

Andre