[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV and Realtek Ethernet conflict

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jul 29 09:03:49 UTC 2011

On 29 Jul 2011, at 05:12, John Haller wrote:

> The combination of InfiniTV and Realtek 8169 Gigabit Ethernet built
> into my motherboard don't seem to get along.

If that's a Gigabyte board there are known problems with that nic and any significant simultaneous bus activity. There is an updated driver on the realtek website that has dramatically improved reliability for me, not fixed completely but no lockups on big nfs transfers anymore.

> As I mentioned earlier, I
> was having pixellation problems. After exchanging mail with Austin at
> Ceton, I realized that if I did things which exercised the network, I
> had worse problems. Removing the network jack from my NIC solved all
> the problems, although that means my frontend is isolated from the
> rest of my network. I'm not sure if the problem is that the NIC is a
> PCI NIC, or Realtek specifically. I only have 2 PCI Express slots, and
> one is for the Ceton, and the other is for the video card, so I'm in
> trouble if I need a PCI Express NIC.

Same here, most modern motherboards don't really have many spare slots!

> I'll try a different NIC this
> weekend. My existing spare NIC is also a Realtek.

There's more detail in the Ubuntu forums.

Andre