[mythtv-users] MythMetadataLookup questions

raptor jr raptorjr at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:19:48 UTC 2011

Well i dont know if i deserve this, but you obviously think i do. But i think i have i no way been unpolite or rude but you insist on treating me like an idiot. But hey, your a developer so i guess thats your right to do that.

I cant do much about the guide data, but i can try to explain again that i have tried to do everything according to your instructions. Maybe i'm not that good in writing in english, but i can read, and i'm not a complete idiot with computers, even though you seem to think so.

As i tried to explain, on every recording rule i have i opened Metadata Options and MML suggested a inetref without me doing anything. (To explain to you, to be sure to see what was happening, instead of doing --refresh-all-rules as you suggested in step 1 in your explanation i did step 4 on all rules. That way i did see that almost all my rules got only 1 hit, and if i got a list of suggestions i could select the right one.) I then clicked Done and then Save.
After that i ran MML with options --refresh-all and --refresh-all-artwork, and gave you the logs of that. (all according to your instructions on the wiki and in the previous response) I tried to explain that i still didn't get artwork. And if a inetref was automatically suggested and i saved that information on the recording rule, it should work, right? (Every time i open Metadata Options for the recording rule the frontend do a search for the name, it is a bit confusing since you might think that even if you have done this before, the information dont get saved. But that is your design and i accept that.)

And all this above i did before your first response of explanations, since i did read the Wiki. After your response i tried again following your explanations instead of the Wiki.

I do have recording names in swedish since i live in sweden. And yes, i like it better when the frontend is in english because the translations often take too much space so it don't look good, and often there isn't a good translation for many terms and it just look bad when you translate things. But if it isn't possible to handle that case i guess i have to live with that.

>> For Scrubs i get 2 hits, but when i try to select the first one i only get
>> back to the searchresult. If i exit that list and select Perform Query
>> again, i get 2 hits, try to select the first one but it dont work.
>>

>Scrubs works perfectly here.

Good it works for you. Then i'll wait until someone else experience the same problem and this bug get fixed. (Maybe someone that you dont think is an idiot?)

>The show is not called "Star Trek" with a subtitle of "Voyager," but
>that's what your guide data has it as. The name of the show is "Star
>Trek: Voyager," which must ALL be in the title field to get a correct
>match. For reference, "Star Trek: Voyager," "Star trek voyager," and
>"StAr TrEk VoYaGeR" all work when in the title field. The name of the
>show is NOT "Star Trek," however. That is another show entirely-- in
>fact, it's multiple matches, which is why you don't get an automated
>one.

Well, i didn't even get a list of suggestions. If i had gotten a list i could have selected the correct show and i would have been happy. On thetvdb.com there is one show with only Star Trek in the title, even though it would have been wrong i should at least have got that.

Last i try to explain again, refering to your instructions, because maybe this is just a communication problem, and i'm just bad at english? But this is the way i've tried all the time, just trying to do it step by step to maybe show if i'm missing something.

Example 1: Sweeney Todd
* I edit the recording schedule, select Metadata Options.
* I get several hits.
* I select the second entry in the list and the inetref 13885.
(Step 4 in your explanation, section "Setting the Internet Reference Number for a Recording Rule" on the wiki)
* I then click Done and then Save.
(If i look at Edit Recording Metadata i don't see a inetref, and that is ok, as you explained i have only saved the inetref for the recording rule, not the actual recording.)
* I now run the command mythmetadatalookup --refresh-all
(Step 2 in your explanation, this should copy the inetref from Sweeney Todd recording rule to the actual recording.)
* I now look at Edit Recording Metadata again, and still there is no inetref, but it should have been copied from the recording rule since i did a mythmetadatalookup --refresh-all

Example 2: Fröken Smillas känsla för snö (english title Smilla's Sense Of Snow)
* I edit the recording schedule, select Metadata Options.
* Automatically the inetref 9311 is shown.
(So even if it is a swedish name, MML automatically finds the right movie, even though i have the frontend in English. A thing that dont work for series, where the frontend language must be the same as the recording names.)
* I then click Done and then Save.
* I now look at Edit Recording Metadata, i can see that the actual recording has inetref 9311.
(Since i already have done mythmetadatalookup --refresh-all in the example above(and many more times previous))
* I now run the command mythmetadatalookup --refresh-all-artwork  (Step 3 in your explanation)
(Since i have confirmed that the recording has a inetref it should now get artwork.)
* I dont get any artwork

So to conclude:
1. I've read the wiki and followed Roberts explanation several times, atleast i think so. Looking in my examples above, tell me if i misunderstood the explanations.
2. Inetref don't get copied from recording rule to recording (Example 1).
3. Recordings with a inetref don't get artwork (Example 2).
4. When frontend language != recording language, series is not found automatically, but movies is.
5. Even with bad guide data, even with wrong language on the frontend(this should only stop the automagic of MML), if i in some way enter a inetref for a recording rule or a recording, artwork should be downloaded, right?

Maybe i'm still doing something wrong, maybe i'm an idiot, but as far as i understand it i have followed all explanations. Looking at Roberts last answer it may look like i'm the worst MythTV user on this list, I dont think i am, but maybe he is right. But if there is no bugs in MML, of the logic is working exactly as it should, i predict that there will be a lot of users that will have problems the day this goes live.

I'm not only writing this to get my MythTV to work good, i also hope that other with the same problem will get help from this. I have been working with computers for a long time and developing, even though not on Linux, and if i cant get it to work i know others will have the same problem. I think i'm trying to do what i can to get MythTV to get better, that's why i'm using trunk, to test new things and try it and fail before others do. I would like to think that i'm in some way is helping others, even though Robert may disagree.

/Stefan