[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend doesn't update database to new schema

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sun Jul 31 22:30:25 UTC 2011

Hi all. I'm working on creating a new mythtv server. My old one was
running 0.21 on fedora core 9. My new one is running 0.24 from packman
repo on opensuse 11.3.

After installing myth and importing the initial database as part of the
setup, I imported from a backup of my old system. I then ran
mythtv-setup and setup my tuner cards.

When I start the frontend it asks me if I want to update the schema and
I answer yes, but every time I start the frontend it keeps asking me to
do it. So apparently it's not working.

I don't see any errors in the mythbackend.log.

When I run the frontend from the terminal I do see the see this in the
xterm window:

2011-07-31 18:26:47.885 MythSocket(7f3ea80d3900:50): readStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.
2011-07-31 18:26:47.885 Protocol version check failure.
                        The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
                        This happens when the backend is too busy to respond,
                        or has deadlocked in due to bugs or hardware failure.

As far as I can see from top, the backend isn't doing much at all. CPU
is at 0%. For some reason one of my tuners is not getting the driver
loaded, but I don't know why.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
James