[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 11:50:06 UTC 2011

On 1 Jun 2011, at 10:24, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 31/05/2011 20:02, Johnny Stenback wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't experience #2. I wonder if there's something about minimyth's
>>> set up that avoids it.
>>
>> Not here, I'm experiencing #2 on both my remote minimyth FE's.
>
> Hmmm. That refutes that idea. Another thing is that I'm in the UK
> and my only HD is from Freesat. (I can't remember whether Issue #2
> was only with HD.)

I had #2 with UK SD, post 0.24 and pre BBC One HD, removing vdpauhqscaling seems to have removed #2 for me based on a couple of hours of BBC3 sample, it comes back when hqscaling is back on so I'm pretty confident the sample is enough.

Another possible odd clue is that I used to see a great deal of stutter at the end of each show, specifically at the fade to black and credits, this would go totally nuts for the first 20 sec. This seems better with the local disk build than the nfs boot, just two or three stutters now. This is on all h264 HD channels not just BBC HD so not specific to the BBC's bleeding edge encoders.

Although I'm in the UK, I work with various foreign broadcasters too so I have off air examples of many of their HD transmissions to test with. I'll run through my test library and see if there is any obvious pattern related to rates or encoder manufacturer.

I'm assuming that mythvideo & myth recordings playback are now the same player code with the same setup?

Andre