[mythtv-users] Setting up a second tuner card

Michael C. Smith michael.c.smith at alumni.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 2 00:33:37 UTC 2011

I'm adding a second tuner card to my MythTV 0.23 system.  Until I
started this upgrade, my setup received video from Comcast into a pcHDTV
HD-5500 card.  Because Comcast in encrypting an increasing number of
channels, I activated an old (previously known working) Hauppauge
PVR-250 card to receive video after passing through a Comcast-provided
DC50X digital transport adapter.  Both cards receive the same
Comcast-provided service, but the HD-5500 is only able to record the
unencrypted channels.  I've already successfully configured an IR
transceiver to change channels on the DC50X.

I get my program schedules from Schedules Direct, which lists two
Comcast services for my area.  The unencrypted channels can all be found
on an old analog channel lineup, while the more complete set of channels
that I receive are listed on a separate digital lineup.  I started by
configuring the HD-5500 and a "Comcast Unencrypted" service.  I ran
scte65scan (0.2.1), connected the source with the appropriate card and
ran mythfilldatabase.  The list of upcoming programs then showed the
expected programs to be recorded on the unencrypted channels, and I was
able to record content.  So far, so good.

I then configured the PVR-250 card and a second source ("Comcast
Encrypted", the complete set of channels I receive).  When I ran
scte65scan, it produced a file that only contained info for sourceid=1,
so I didn't load it into the database.  (I think there's a problem
here.)  I configured the connection between the PVR-250 tuner card and
the "Comcast Encrypted" source and ran mythfilldatabase.  The list of
upcoming programs shows a complete list of what I want to have recorded,
utilizing both sources/tuner cards.  The problem is that nothing from
the PVR-250 ("Comcast Encrypted") tuner/source pairing actually
records.  (I does try, but dies after producing a video file that's
about 1K in length.)

Can someone suggest a course of action?

Thanks,

Mike