[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: ATI Remote Wonder with Fedora 15

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 2 17:18:59 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 12:24 PM, John Welch wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 06/02/2011 09:21 AM, John Welch wrote:
>>> I'll check with Axel to see if the 'lirc_atiusb' module is something
>>> that he has provided in the past and may be able to package for F15.
>>> Failing that, I'll work on the 'ati_remote' method.
>> FWIW, I like/use lirc_atiusb driver because it allows me to use the
>> "mouse" device as regular remote buttons instead of as a (useless to
>> MythTV) mouse.  If you don't care to change the mouse to regular remote
>> buttons, using ati_remote with lirc's devinput driver to provide a
>> custom mapping of buttons is likely the easiest approach.  (I'm pretty
>> sure--though not positive--that the ati_remote/devinput approach cannot
>> be used to treat remote mouse events as button events.)
> Thanks Mike.  I'd like to continue to use the lirc_atiusb driver
> simply because I have everything setup and working the way I want it.
> I don't think I necessarily *need* the mouse buttons, but it is nice
> to have the option to use them as remote buttons.

Ooops.  Too many drivers--I copy/pasted the wrong name.  I meant I
actually use the atilibusb driver.  It's much nicer than lirc_atiusb
because it's a userspace driver (and, in the case of atilibusb, doesn't
require /any/ kernel modules for the ATI remote--since it uses libusb to
access the device directly).

I'm a big fan of the LIRC drivers that don't require special/LIRC-only
kernel modules, and I believe I've saved many times the amount of time
it took me to switch drivers just in not having to deal with special
kernel modules.

Mike