[mythtv-users] Closed Captions: A reason to upgrade?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sun Jun 5 05:33:22 UTC 2011

I'm currently running 0.23.1-fixes on my MBE/FE and 4 FEs and have been happy with it. However, my service provider, Wide Open West (aka WOW), is in the process of going all digital, and after phase 1 of their cut over, I find that MythTV is unable to display closed captions on some, but not all, of the std def digital channels. Closed captions are there, as verified by viewing the same channels on my HDTV and recording them on MythTV at the same time. I have tried both EIA-608 and EIA-708 captions, but no joy. So, I thought I'd ask if this is a known problem in 0.23.1-fixes that's fixed in 0.24 or later.

FWIW, I'm hesitant to upgrade without some assurance it will help this particular problem for a couple of reasons:

1) Two of my front ends are rather old laptops with Intel 915gm and ATI Xpress 200 IGPs respectively. They play 720p and 1080i content just fine under 0.23.1-fixes with the Slim profile, but I vaguely recall seeing people posting about problems with old hardware and newer versions of myth. Maybe it's not the myth version, but the kernel version?

2) I'm on the verge of converting one minitower FE into a SBE/FE so I can add more digital tuners while minimizing the number of splitters on my coax cable runs to the tuners. I'd hate to be making more than one change at the same time, like upgrading myth and adding a SBE at the same time.

TIA,
Helen