[mythtv-users] Dell Optiplex 755 as Front End?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 14:16:34 UTC 2011

There are several models of Optiplex 755s.  There is the desktop model
(which sits horizontally on a desk and requires Low-Profile) and there is
the mini-tower (what normal people would consider a tower).  Please keep in
mind that the mini-tower version is a reversed motherboard.  What I mean to
say is that the right panel of the tower comes off, not the left panel.
Almost like a BTX case (Dell might have even used the BTX form factor, with
their own special twist).  I purchased an nVidia GT430 fanless card from
NewEgg to go in the mini-tower (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175&cm_re=GT430-_-14-500-175-_-Product).
That is a two bracket wide card.  The BTX nature of that case means the
nvidia card is put in "upside down".  This means the vent bracket needs to
be put in a slot ABOVE the PCIe slot on the mobo.  The Dell Optiplex 755
doesn't have a slot above the PCIe on the motherboard.  However, since the
design of that particular case puts a fan/vent directly where the second
"vent" bracket of the nVidia card would be, I simply dremelled off the vent
bracket and the card installed no problem.  I've been running it for months
in this config and I have had 0 problems.  The whole rig is pretty darned
silent as well.  I'm thrilled.  If you have any questions about this
install, just let me know.  Now I just need a new receiver capable of HDMI
in, and I'll be the happiest Myth-er there is!

Jim