[mythtv-users] record live/first showing of sports?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:29:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 11:05 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
>

>> What I'm looking for is a way to say, "yes, I know this will re-air
>> two hours later and that would allow you to record more scheduled
>> shows, but I insist that this show record the original, and first,
>> airing even if it means other shows will not be recorded.". A "Sports"
>> mode option so to speak.
>
> I presume you have already tried the obvious, which is to make the
> sports program the highest priority recording? That seems to work for
> me, but maybe you have more stuff scheduled to record than I do?

yes, I mentioned that at the end of my email. the reason priority does
nothing is that it's selecting the later recording to allow for other
recordings to get scheduled. It's not that it is choosing the item of
lower priority and not recording the higher priority showing, it is in
fact doing exactly what it should do according to what appears to be
the current logic, which is to schedule the show that it can record
later to do so in order to record more shows.

Which, like I said, is great for tv series that don't have a a higher
social value if not recorded on the original airing, but for sports,
and similar shows (American Idol, etc as odd as that sounds) that have
a high social value of being watched "live" (or slightly delayed),
this method does not work.

I'm just wondering if I missed something or if no such option is as
yet built into the scheduler.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!