[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 11.04 lirc mceusb module - how?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:50:48 UTC 2011

On 7 June 2011 19:27, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > your going to have to help me more, Jarod :(
> > 'just install your distros lirc packages and choose default' - how and
> > where?! mythbuntu includes lirc, and i've gone into the mythbuntu control
> > center and set it up for the MCE remote; but still it fails to work.
> > aside from that, i cant find anything todo with 'default' either.
> >
> > i'm at a loss on this one; i just cant get it working!
>
> Tell us more about your system.  What TV card are you using, with what
> driver, and how did you install it?  What do you see if you type "ls
> /dev/lirc*"?  What about "lsmod"?  You had it working and then it
> broke.  Did it break as soon as you installed your TV card drivers or
> on the next reboot following that?
>
> Eric

TV card = TBS 6981 with latest drivers (supports kernel 2.6.38). it uses the
cx23885 driver, and installed via the readme file (make, make install)
ls /dev/lirc* = no find. there is not 'lirc' at all in /dev/
lsmod = no 'mceusb' drivers or similar. trying to modprobe them, i get the
following:
 > myth at mythtv:~$ modprobe mceusb
 > FATAL: Error inserting mceusb
(/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/media/rc/mceusb.ko): Operation
not permitted

the mceusb device works right up untill i reboot after the tv card drivers
are installed, which it then stops responding to any inputs. (to be fair, i
reboot immediately after the tv card drivers are installed, so i havent
tested if the mceusb device works immediately after install, or just after
reboot).

i'm curently on mythbuntu 11.04, which by default is lirc 0.8.7.

as mentioned before, the fix on mythbuntu 10.10 was to re-configure lirc
which made it work again. this doesnt seem to be the fix on 10.10. i've
tried manually installing the latest lirc 0.9.0 too - no fix.

when i try to (re)compile lirc, i use ./configure --with-driver=default, but
i've also tried ./configure --with-driver=mceusb, but they both fail at the
i2c_SOMETHING module.

google hasnt helped with any of the error messages upto now..
i hope that helps - let me know if you need more info