[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 11.04 lirc mceusb module - how?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jun 7 19:06:16 UTC 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Tim Draper wrote:

> On 7 June 2011 19:27, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > your going to have to help me more, Jarod :(
> > 'just install your distros lirc packages and choose default' - how and
> > where?! mythbuntu includes lirc, and i've gone into the mythbuntu control
> > center and set it up for the MCE remote; but still it fails to work.
> > aside from that, i cant find anything todo with 'default' either.

I meant hand-edit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf. mythbuntu control center seems
like its out of sync with reality these days, but I wouldn't know for
sure, since I don't run *buntu.

I'm also not exactly sure what edits to make to hardware.conf, since
that's another distro-specific thing, not actually part of lirc, and the
cause of a multitude of other problems... Okay, found a hardware.conf
floating around the 'net. I believe you want:

DRIVER="default"
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"

And the lirc distribution's provided lircd.conf.mceusb.

That's honestly all there is to it, outside of needing to ensure that
you don't also have in-kernel decode happening, or you'll get double
events. The latest ubuntu lirc initscript is supposed to take care of
that automatically though.

> Tell us more about your system.  What TV card are you using, with what
> driver, and how did you install it?  What do you see if you type "ls
> /dev/lirc*"?  What about "lsmod"?  You had it working and then it
> broke.  Did it break as soon as you installed your TV card drivers or
> on the next reboot following that?
>

> TV card = TBS 6981 with latest drivers (supports kernel 2.6.38). it uses the cx23885 driver, and installed via the readme file (make, make install)

Wait, what? Where are you getting this driver from?

> ls /dev/lirc* = no find. there is not 'lirc' at all in /dev/

Um... That's bad.

> lsmod = no 'mceusb' drivers or similar. trying to modprobe them, i get the following:
>  > myth at mythtv:~$ modprobe mceusb
>  > FATAL: Error inserting mceusb (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/media/rc/mceusb.ko): Operation not permitted

Has to be done with root privs.

> the mceusb device works right up untill i reboot after the tv card drivers are installed, which it then stops responding to any inputs. (to be fair, i reboot immediately after the tv card drivers are installed, so i havent tested if the mceusb device works immediately after install, or just after reboot).

If the mceusb device doesn't work after you install the tv card drivers,
I'd be looking at what the tv card driver installer is actually installing
and messing up...

> i'm curently on mythbuntu 11.04, which by default is lirc 0.8.7.
>

> as mentioned before, the fix on mythbuntu 10.10 was to re-configure lirc which made it work again. this doesnt seem to be the fix on 10.10. i've tried manually installing the latest lirc 0.9.0 too - no fix.

Updating userspace isn't going to fix something when it appears your
kernelspace has been screwed over by your tv card's drivers.

Please pastebin dmesg output immediately after booting. Pretty sure
there's some module load carnage in there to be seen.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com