[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 11.04 lirc mceusb module - how?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 8 04:21:32 UTC 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Tim Draper wrote:

> On 7 June 2011 20:08, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
>
> > oh, sorry, try - it's sudo'd this time!:
> > > myth at mythtv:/dev$ sudo modprobe mceusb
> > > FATAL: Error inserting mceusb (/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/media/rc/mceusb.ko): Invalid module format
>
> That's further indication that those tv card drivers you installed have
> screwed things up very badly. Please provide the info requested in my
> reply from just a few minutes ago in the thread.
>

> dmesg after a fresh reboot: http://pastebin.com/7PtkLwRZ
>
> i'm sure you know, but http://www.tbsdtv.com/english/Download.html for the latest TBS drivers.

Nope, I had absolutely no idea, that's why I asked. Basically, I share the
same stance as Devin. The vendor really needs to upstream their driver, or
they're going to keep breaking people's systems when they upgrade to newer
kernels. From the dmesg output:

[    8.354806] rc_core: exports duplicate symbol ir_raw_handler_unregister (owned by ir_core)

It looks like their driver would probably work fine with circa 2.6.36 code,
but is broken on .37 and on, as ir_core became rc_core. Your system currently
has two competing eras of kernel code from drivers/media/ trying to run at
the same time.

So yes, this is the vendor who needs to fix things, either by taking on the
burden of supporting their supplied code properly on more recent kernels, or
by doing the RIGHT thing and getting their driver code merged into the kernel
itself.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com