[mythtv-users] UPnP, DLNA and Aspect Ratio

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jun 8 13:45:54 UTC 2011

On 8 Jun 2011, at 14:13, Mark Lord wrote:

> On 11-06-08 09:03 AM, Andre wrote:
>> On 8 Jun 2011, at 13:46, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
>>> The Samsung LCD here seems to get the aspect ratios correct over DLNA
>>> from the mythtv box.  Playback is incredibly smooth too (120HZ) over DLNA
>>> compared with VDPAU (which otherwise looks excellent itself).
>>
>> This is the big advantage of DLNA playback, the TV gets to use all it's
>> decoding tricks & tweaks, some good some bad.
>>

>>> The Samsung UI is crap though, so I use it only for files that Mythtv
>>> totally chokes on.
>>
>> Still good to know that it plays myth recordings properly, what are your
>> sources? I'm guessing US mpeg2 HD as you mention 120hz?
>
> Canadian over-the-air ATSC mpeg2, mostly all 1920x1080i.
>
>> Would be good to know if it copes properly with Euro 16:9/4:3 SDTV mid
>> programme switching.
>
> None of the channels I watch here do mid-program switching.

It's purely a European thing, NA & Canada kept SD to 4:3 and switched to 16:9 for HD, much simpler in many ways.

Had a bit of a situation a last year when a European broadcaster I work with decided to upgrade a Bundesliga Football SD feed to the USA, why wouldn't they want 16:9 was the thought! Of course the NY pickup point couldn't understand why the picture looked squashed some of the time and the tech reporting the problem had no concept of 16:9 SD, took most of the day for both ends to understand the problem and switch back to 4:3 SD!

> They all just seem to stick with a fixed resolution,
> regardless of content or mid-program advertisements.
>
>> The is a problem with Samsung playback of Euro frame rate streamed material,
>> it plays all 25/50 frame video at 60Hz, haven't had chance to see if the same
>> problem occurs over DLNA.
>
> I probably have some 50 frame content around here to try,
> if I remember to look for it.  :)

Would be interesting to know how it goes.

I have a latest model Samsung "Smart TV" at one of the offices I work in, I'll be there at the end of this month so I'll take some test material fire up a mythtv system and see what happens.