[mythtv-users] Defragging XFS File Systems

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:04:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> > On 06/06/11 23:03, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
> >> I hadn't given much thought to fragmentation of my recordings volume
> >> (XFS) until reading through some other threads recently that mentioned
> >> how fragmented and XFS file system could become.  After running xfs_db,
> >> I found out that my fs appeared to be quite bad:
> >>
> >> $ sudo xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/mapper/appl_vg-appl_lv
> >>   actual 1138668, ideal 11023, fragmentation factor 99.03%
>
> I have a cron job that runs daily to defrag my drives.  Not too sure
> if this is overkill.  It should probably run weekly or something
> instead.  But yes, I have found that as the disk becomes more full, it
> becomes less effective at reducing fragmentation.

I took my questions over to the xfs mail list and received some interesting
information / answers.  Rather than try to cut and paste all of the
 I recommend that anyone using xfs as their recordings file system read
through the responses for nuggets of information.  Specifically, there were
recommendations regarding defragging and the use of fsync.

The answer to my specific problem (the errors that I got did disappear) of a
horribly fragmented fs is to back it up, reformat, and restore.  No way to
defrag my file system when it is as full as it is.

http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2011-June/050905.html

Regards,

Ken E.