[mythtv-users] jumppoint: Live TV In Guide

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 10 18:08:50 UTC 2011

On 06/10/2011 01:07 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> just a quick one before i put in a 'feature request', the 'Live TV In
> Guide' JumpPoint option seems to behave differently than the liveTV >
> Guide option.
>
> they both appear the same, but the way it is called/actioned by the FE
> appears to be very different:
> Live TV In Guide (Jump Point): this can be called from ANYWHERE in the
> FE, but the Preview window in top corner, using the mythbuntu theme,
> is just that corner of the liveTV feed is displayed....think of the
> 'Live TV In Guide' as an overlay onto the full size liveTV feed. When
> this JumpPoint is called in liveTV mode, the liveTV feed stops, and
> then gets reloaded under the Jumppoint reference.
>
> Live TV In Guide (called via the 'S' key, when in LiveTV): this works
> alot smoother than the JumpPoint version, in that when in liveTV mode
> it will instantly resize the liveTV feed without a break, and
> correctly display the resized image. However, this mode can only be
> called from the LiveTV feed, meaning i cant assign the 'guide' button
> on my remote to this procedure, so i can access it when i'm anywhere
> in the FE. i have to press 'LiveTV/watch TV' and then Guide.
>
> what i'd like is to either call the Live TV guide from anywhere in the
> FE, or re-assign the jump point to the correctly functioning guide
> ('S' key when in LiveTV)
>
> i hope thats clear... if not, i'll see if I can make a youtube video
> of it :)
> is there a way to resolve this annoyance, or shall i report it as a
> feature request/bug?
> i'm running mythbuntu 10.10 & 0.24.1

Not sure if I understood what you're talking about, but I /think/ you're
saying you want to be able to prefer a local action over a jump point
when both are mapped to the same key.  If so:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3363 (note that this was
incorporated, then reverted)
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3642
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7d569c0e (this is using the
desired approach--fix each case of "should use local binding in
preference" individually)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/273180#273180 (whole
thread)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/266168#266168 (and
following messages in thread)

and a bunch more threads with a bunch of discussion about why we require
individual code changes whenever we want a key binding to override a
jump point in some location.

So, if you want "Live TV In Guide" registered as a "Jump Point with
local override", you should submit a patch changing it to use
REG_JUMPLOC.  However, since "Program Guide" is already registered as a
"Jump Point with local override" which prefers the "TV Frontend/GUIDE"
key binding (default S), you should test what happens when an invalid
configuration is created such that "Live TV In Guide", "Program Guide",
and "TV Frontend/GUIDE" all use the same binding of S.

Mike