[mythtv-users] UK interest: dual tbs dvb-s2 pci-e card £75

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:41:04 UTC 2011

On 13 June 2011 20:21, Simon Jones <sijones2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you checked out the forum support for this card, I have ordered one
> but apparently the latest drivers on their site break LIRC so you have no
> remote, think I might send it back.
>
> http://www.buydvb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=110
>
> I thought it looked like a good buy when I put my order in but am beginning
> to regret it and think I might cancel, you can get the TeVii S480 which is
> it's equal and the drivers have been submitted to main line kernel for
> 2.6.39
>
> I bought one from dvbshop.net, £102 inc delivery, I know it's £25 more but
> I think it's worth it for the drivers!
>
> Am fed up not having proper support from kernel drivers so wanted to make
> people aware of this!
>

> On 13 June 2011 18:23, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 June 2011 18:21, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Let me know how you get on with it.
>>>
>>> Please excuse brevity and pistakes this email was composed on a mobile
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>>> Yeah, please post back, I think I might pick one up!  Thanks for the tip.

just to clear up issues; i'm using the TBS 6981 (amazon claim 6890, but
thats the old revision; 6981 is improved stability and replacement for the
6980). the card itself as a tuner works fine - very stable.

things to be aware of:
- you need to unload the cx23885 driver before you suspend/hibernate. if you
dont, you will not get a lock when mythtv resumes. this is apparently a v4l
issue
- LIRC. im running mythbuntu 10.10. install TBS drivers, and then reinstall
Lirc 0.8.7 (do not remove existing LIRC install). this will get it working
on 10.10. mythbuntu 11.04, then i've yet to find a way to get LIRC working.
that said, the 6981 does come with it's own controller, but it is missing
playback controls. fine for live tv, useless for recorded programs.  i would
like to point out that i am specifically talking about the mceusb LIRC
module use. i cant comment on other LIRC drivers.
i did get a reply from TBS support. they sugest that the rc_core code is the
root cause of LIRC not working with the TBS card on mythbuntu 11.04. the
older ir_core code (as used in mythbuntu 10.10) doesnt have this issue.
- you need 3 spare molex connectors for the external power on the 6981.
ensure you have enough, or get some splitters like I've done.

hth