[mythtv-users] Zotac GT430 Silent video card, Lucid, and HDMI audio

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Jun 19 21:01:28 UTC 2011

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On Sunday, 19 June 2011, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>

>> It appears that the 1.0.24 libraries are not available for installation
>> via apt, just the modules.  For the shared libs, the most recent it
>> comes up with is 1.0.22.  Is there a repository containing updated
>> libraries for Lucid?
>>
>> Thanks - Bob
>>
> Just build from source using: ./configure --prefix=/usr
> Then make && sudo make install
>
> But with the 1.0.24 drivers you should at least see the cards.. 256.xx
> drivers are fine (that's what I use)
>
> Check dmesg and see any possible hints. Also make sure your amplifier
> is connected via hdmi and is on before X start. I found with my gt430
> that even with the customedid option, audio wnt start properly if the
> amp isn't on before the pc starts.

Jean-Yves:

I was just getting ready to grab the source and do this, but decided to
re-try my search one more time with different search terms, and came up
with this:

I did this, and, voila - I now could see the HDMI Audio option in Setup ->
Audio.  However, selecting "ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia" produced no sound.

Aplay -l now gave me:
[mythtv at vader: ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I tried inputting the device designators manually in Setup -> Audio.
Using "ALSA:plughw:1,9" worked in my case.  I now have full HDMI sound
with Myth without all of the headaches I had previously with the receiver.
  :-)

Thanks.  Hope this helps any who follow.
Bob