[mythtv-users] mythvideo sort order

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Mon Jun 20 14:34:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Phil Wild <phil at holobyte.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone confirm this same behavior?
>
> People need to stop using the word "broken" as a synonym for "not as I
> expected."  ;)
>
> You're using the Date Added *Browse Mode*, which builds a metadata
> tree based on Date Added, and uses your frontend setting for date
> format to arrange the nodes.  So, you have a frontend date setting
> that puts the Day of Week first, and thus it's built by that.  The
> above discussion is about the Sort By: Date Added option in the
> "Filter Display" screen, which sorts them by date, but preserves the
> metadata browse mode you have chosen (Most people Prefer "Folder" or
> "TV/Movie").

Hi Robert,

Sorry but I have to disagree... When you select "Sort by Date" one would
expect that you sort by date.

"Fri 4 Jan 2011" would come after "Wed Dec 4 2010" because it is one month
afterwards. MythVideo says it is not so because "F" comes before "W" in the
alphabet. That is not "Sort by Date". How can you say that this is not
broken? Okay, perhaps it is not broken in that it actually did something,
but it obviously did not sort by date. If this is what it is supposed to do,
then perhaps the menu item should be changed to "Alphabetically sort by the
way you are displaying your date format".

I too prefer to sort by folder and have gone to great effort to organise my
collection. However, there are times when I would like to see what is new,
often because I have forgotten what I have filed over the last few weeks. So
sort by date would give me that.

I would love the ability to toggle between sorting the contents of my
"Folder View" between alphabetical and date order but unfortunately I lack
the coding skills to be able to help out. I do appreciate all the work that
the developers put into mythtv. It is a wonderful product and I love it to
bits.

But back to my original statement I stand behind "Sort By Date" is broken.
:-)

Cheers

Phil