[mythtv-users] how do I change max recordings?

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:20:19 UTC 2011

On 6/21/2011 11:01 AM, Per Kofod wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 04:12 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
>> On 6/21/2011 9:43 AM, Per Kofod wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> On my newly installed mythology HTPC box I have run into a problem:
>>>
>>> I have the box configured with 4 tuners (2 internal DVB-C PCI tuner cards,
>>> and a HDHOMERUN box with 2 tuners) I have configured max simultaneous
>>> jobs to 4; but if I try to schedule recordings, so I at one point have 3
>>> recordings
>>> at the same time, I get a conflict marking.
>>>
>>> I have not been able to find a setting for max simultaneous recordings
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Is this a hard limit somewhere in mythTV, or are there a place where I
>>> can change
>>> this?
>>>
>>> I have no need to use this box for Live TV; but would be able to be able
>>> to record
>>> from 4 tuners at the same time, the hardware should be powerful enough
>>> to handle
>>> this, as there is not much processing needed for a DVB channel.
>>>
>>> Per
>>>
>> The only limit is the number of available tuners. What is the source for
>> the HDHR? and the DVB tuners?
>> you might have something set wrong.
>>
>> Or this might be normal. For example I have 2 HDHRs with OTA as the
>> source. They are defined as 8 tuners so I can record 8 OTA programs. I
>> also have 2 HDPVRs with satellite as the source. So I can also record up
>> to 2 programs on a satellite channels. So there are 10 tuners defined
>> yet I still have hard limits of 8 for OTA and 2 for satellite. Make sense?
>>
> That is strange I have a setting of max recordings of 2 on each tuner,
> so first
> PCI tuner card is Tuner 1 and 2. The second tuner card is tuner 3 and 4, the
> first homerun tuner is 5 and 6 and the second homerun tuner is 7 and 8.
That has to do wit multi-rec and allows you to use a single tuner to
record multiple programs *if* they are broadcast on the same freq. (I
believe they are broadcast as a multiplex.) For example I have 15.1,
15.2 and 15.3 here that can all be recorded with a single HDHR tuner.
This is different from and not really related to the issue you
described. (although it is important to understand since it is sometimes
like having a free tuner.)

> Yes I have set up two sources, one for the PCU cards and one for the homerun
> box. They are connected to the same cable connection; but due to the
> difference
> in the way the frequencies are set up, the homerun tuners complained if
> connected
> to the same source as the PCI tuners. But in the channel listing I have
> only one entry
> for each channel, so I thought that they identified the program by ID.
> Actually if I
> select a program for recording, it selects tuner 1 first, than tuner 3,
> if I select live
> TV it selects tuner 8. So the first recording I select goes to tuner 1,
> the second to
> tuner 3, and when I try to select a third recording at the same time I
> get a conflict,
> and even if I select prefered tuner as 6 for that program, it still
> tells me, that that
> program will not be recorded as I have a conflict.

Not sure but I will assume there is almost no overlap of channels
between the two sources. So when selecting programs to record choose a
channel that is only available on the HDHR and see if it selects the
correct tuner. Then select one that is only available on the PCI tuners
and check which tuner.

 From you description I cannot tell if you have a configuration problem
or a misunderstanding of how it works.
Read this-