[mythtv-users] Disable screensaver in Fedora 15

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Jun 21 16:57:30 UTC 2011

On 6/20/2011 3:10 PM, Chris Payne wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM, kanetse at gmail.com
> <mailto:kanetse at gmail.com> <kane.tse at gmail.com
> <mailto:kane.tse at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> Does anyone know if .xinitrc is still run?  Maybe I can put the
> commands there...
>

> I wasn't sure about that, I wrote a small shell script wrapper around
> the 2 xset command and used a graphical editor ("Startup
> Applications" or something like that) to add this script to each
> login.
>
> The dconf commands do seem to stick through reboots.
>
> HTH -- Chris

On mythbuntu, you can put the commands in .xprofile. For example, my .xprofile contains:

(sleep 2; xset +dpms) &

In my case, I have disabled xfce's screen saver and enabled power management of the display, but for some reason, dpms isn't enabled, even though the timeouts I've set using the GUI are set as I expect. I have found the above command helps, most of the time. I run it in the background and have the sleep because it seems .xprofile is run in a blocking mode and too early for the xset command to take effect without backgrounding it and sleeping for a bit before it's run. Even so, some times, dpms isn't active by the time mythfrontend starts up and checks the state of dpms. If I check the log and see:

2011-06-13 01:10:44.093 DPMS is disabled.

I will stop mythfrontend, make sure dpms is enabled, then restart mythfrontend. The second time around, I will see:

2011-06-15 13:25:17.330 DPMS is active.

HTH,
Helen