[mythtv-users] how do I change max recordings?

John Werner flybrick at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 22 17:59:47 UTC 2011

> I have the box configured with 4 tuners...but if I try to schedule
> recordings, so I at one point have 3 recordings at the same time, I
> get a conflict marking.

I've seen something like this before, but it really was my fault because I forgot about how I configured the pre- and post-record times.  I will often set recordings to start 30 seconds early and end 1 minute late to take up the slack between the clocks of different broadcasters.  I will then try to schedule several recordings on different channels all next to each other.  The result is the 1 minute overlap keeps me from utilizing same tuner to record to "adjoining" shows.

Here's an example:

8:00 - 9:00  Channel 2    "SG1"
8:00 - 9:00  Channel 3    "Star Trek"
9:00 - 10:00 Channel 4    "SG Universe"
9:00 - 10:00 Channel 5    "Voyager"

Assuming the recordings start 30 seconds early and end 30 seconds late, I have just used 4 tuners!  The tuner that is recording "SG1" is can no record "SG Universe" because SG1 is really recorded from 7:59:30 to 9:00:30 and SG Universe really records from 8:59:30 to 10:00:30.  The overlap of 30 seconds prevents the same tuner from being used, so SG1 and SG Universe are scheduled on different tuners.  The same applies for Star Trek and Voyager.  Thus, all 4 tuners are allocated, even if it is just for 1 minute from 8:59:30 to 9:00:30.  If I try to add another recording that covers that 1 minute, I will have a conflict.

(BTW, if SG1 and SG Universe were on the same channel, the same tuner may be used with one getting the extra time and the other loosing it.)

- John
--
John Werner
  http://www.snowtire.info