[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Aaron aaron at rb303.net
Sat Jun 25 16:31:40 UTC 2011

So I want to upgrade my hardware from a Quad Core Intel (q8200) to a
Six Core AMD (1055T) system. I have the components picked out, I am
just wanting to verify a couple points of compatibility. With my
current board, (Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H) I use firewire to record some
channels from my set top box, it works great and I really don't want
to stop using it. The new board (ECS A880GM-M6) doesn't mention what
type of chipset is used for firewire is it going to be a big deal?

Next is sound, are there any major issues (I did google, but only saw
typical user error posts) with the Realtek ALC888S?. I haven't had
much luck in the HCL's area. Most i've found don't have a very good
DB, the Ubuntu one seems to redirects back to ubuntu.com
(http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HardwareSupport). My current board
uses Realtek ALC889A, and i've had really good luck with it; I only
use SPDIF optical out.

Last, when i built my quad core system I originally built it using
64-bit Mythbuntu, but had major problems with the firewire recording.
I think this was around .22 or early .23; has this gotten better,
think I can go with 64 bit now or will I just need to test and work it
out myself. I'm guessing the later ;)

Any and all help appreciated...

Aaron