[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Mon Jun 27 23:37:32 UTC 2011

On 28 June 2011 09:11, Julius Roberts <hooliowobbits at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 June 2011 07:27, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I doubt such a powerful machine should normally have issues, and as
> > such, upgrading it is unlikely going to fix anything.
>
> +1
>
> --
> Kind regards, Jules

I'd tend to agree, I'm currently running a 4 core Intel i5 with a GT240 and
the only time I see playback pauses is when IO goes through the roof, either
due to commflaging transcoding or just the number of recordings concurrent
recordings.

I'd suggest adding more disks to spread the IO load for recordings and or
limiting the number of concurrent jobs, I have mine set to 3 to always allow
a free core for mysql/system processes

I'm also running 2 small drives in software RAID 1 for the OS/mysql db and
another drive for videos/recording and another drive dedicated to recordings
and I'll probably add another spare drive I have laying around in the near
future.

Cheers,

Anthony