[mythtv-users] "broken" as a synonym for "not as I expected." WAS: Re: mythvideo sort order

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Jun 28 13:07:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 16:06 +1000, Julius Roberts wrote:
> My point in raising this is that it is all well and good to have
> developed complicated software for some fantastic task, but if it
> doesn't work the way people might usually expect it to, then that in
> my mind is it's not reasonable to blame the user for their poor
> perception of the issue.  There's complicated, and then there's just
> plain poorly executed.

All tools fail to work the way someone expects them too. When a
developer replies to a complaint with "it's working as designed"
that doesn't necessarily imply that the design is correct, but
it puts the onus on the complainant to convince others that the
way they think it should work is superior*. And if they are not
developers or paying someone who is, then they additionally need
to convince someone else to make it happen.

* All convincing should be done here and not in the bug tracker.

-- Daniel