[mythtv-users] Transcode in place to MPEG-2 (PS)?

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 02:23:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 21:06 -0500, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 19:56 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Jeremy Jones
> > <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a setup that they will share that will transcode
> > > recorded TV in place to MPEG-2 Program stream.
> >
> > If I understand you correctly then you are making this WAY more
> > difficult that you need to. You may need to setup a custom transcode
> > but this is easily done within MythTV.
> >
> > Look at:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode
> >
> > Richard
>
> Thanks Richard,
>
> From reading the page on the wiki I gathered I can do this with
> mythtranscode by adding the --mpeg2 option.  I still assume that I have
> to do this through an external script and call it as a user job, since
> the transcode gui setup within myth is limited to the choices of mpeg4
> or RTjpeg.  Is this correct?  Or am I still making it too hard?
>
> Just a question: if mythtranscode will output to mpeg2 program stream,
> then why is that not an option in the gui setup of transcoders?  Or is
> it, and I have overlooked that as well?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy

Upon further look at this it looks like the --mpeg2 option will not
allow for resizing the video.  My original recordings are mostly HD and
like I said in the original post, I need them to be SD for compatibility
with a network player.

Will I mess anything up by just transcoding with an external script
using ffmpeg and replacing the original file with the transcoded one
(same name so myth still finds it)?  If I do that, then is there
information in the database that will have to be updated with the new
filesize and video size? Will myth do that automatically?  Do I need to
execute a command initiate that?

Jeremy