[mythtv-users] Transcode in place to MPEG-2 (PS)?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:06:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Jeremy Jones
<jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> Upon further look at this it looks like the --mpeg2 option will not
> allow for resizing the video.  My original recordings are mostly HD and
> like I said in the original post, I need them to be SD for compatibility
> with a network player.

Woops, I missed that part, sorry...

> Will I mess anything up by just transcoding with an external script
> using ffmpeg and replacing the original file with the transcoded one
> (same name so myth still finds it)?  If I do that, then is there
> information in the database that will have to be updated with the new
> filesize and video size? Will myth do that automatically?  Do I need to
> execute a command initiate that?

I found this page[1] which may help. It shows as way to setup custom
transcoding profiles with resizing. It's for an older version of
MythTV but probably still relevant:

Richard

[1] http://tips.myhdbox.com/2006/05/tip-4-transcode-profiles-for-hdtv.php