[mythtv-users] Interview with Silicon Dust founder & CTO Nick Kelsey

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jun 30 15:28:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Patrick Davila
<pdavila at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:
> The interview with Nick starts around the 34:00 minute mark:
> http://tlltsarchive.org/archives/MythTVCast_Episode29.ogg

Patrick, thanks for doing the interview, there was a lot of good
information in there.  Unfortunately I don't think my question about a
future product like the Prime but with analog outputs was understood.
I got the impression that both you and Nick were thinking about
something like a cable company provided DVR service, while I was
talking about something much simpler, literally a Prime with one or
more mpeg decoders and analog component outputs, with no additional
human interfaces/menus or anything.  Everything would be controlled
though extensions to the existing network protocol.

The goal here is to find some better way to deal with copy protected
content, be that HBO on Comcast, or virtually everything on Time
Warner.  We know the Prime is prohibited from sending this digitally,
but something like it should be able to send it in analog, just like
the boxes that the cable companies rent.  Today, we have to rent set
top boxes to do the decryption and decoding to analog (for eventual
HD-PVR consumption).  Verizon charges me $10/month per HD box
($30/month in perpetuity for the equivalent decoding of one <$250 HDHR
Prime that should last many years.).  Reducing that cost is what I
want to do.

Eric