[mythtv-users] Getting new display & frontend, a few questions

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Tue Mar 1 12:58:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my tried & true CRT to a new thinner display
device and thus enter the modern world :-)

I'm currently netbooting (via minimyth) an Asus M2PV-VM with
integrated graphics as a frontend, but since it only has S-Video & no
HDMI I need to upgrade. So, a few questions:

 * A lot of panel reviews also test for quality of SD-content. I
assume this tests the device's ability to deinterlace & scale content.
Is it correct that all this is irrelevant if Myth is the only source?
I assume only raw 1080p pq is important? I will have a PS3 for
blue-ray material (and maybe dvd also, depending on the frontend
choosen)

 * I'm considering either getting a new gfx card (eg. gt24) or getting
a new frontend. I know ion/ion2 cannot do vdpau advanced with 60hz
material, but have seen various reports that it may work with 50hz
material. Can someone shed some light on this? How about subtitle
rendering? We normally always have subtitles enabled. How does this
affect rendering?

 * For PQ reasons, I'm considering a plasma display but still hear
there are various issues with retention. How can this be handled in
Myth? I mostly think of leaving a frontend running on e.g. the main
menu. Is there any form of auto sleep & screen blanker available?

 * How do people rate the overall PQ from a myth system vs signal
directly into panel?

/Jeppe