[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Tue Mar 1 22:13:47 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 08:55 -0500, Phil Linttell wrote:

> There isn't terribly much MythTV can do in these situations. For the
> first issue there is an internal reset that we do after not seeing
> data for a couple seconds; but sometimes that isn't sufficient. For
> the second issue good ventilation seems to be the only thing that
> works (and the newer units with the built in fans are less prone to
> overheating.)

I do not have a later unit with a fan.  I understand the first units were
quite buggy, however I waited a year to purchase, and the fan units came
later... :(

> AFAIK this only happens with certain combinations of set top boxes and
> HD-PVR firmware and only when using spdif input. My solution was to just
> use analog audio input. I understand if that doesn't work for you, I
> use netflix for movies so I don't ever need 5.1 from my TV recordings
> (except for debugging purposes.) You might want to try earlier or later
> firmware & report the problem to Hauppauge; tell them which STB you
> are using, whether you are using spdif in the bug report and which
> firmware you tried.

I've tried several combinations of firmware, and my audio connection has
always been analog audio.  I don't use spdif.  I'm at a loss as I used the
HDPVR without issue for quite a while when I first got it, on a previous
myth installation.  No issues.  Now after not using it for a year, and
updating to 0.24 and debian squeeze, I have terrible issues.  I'm not
pointing fingers, but it sure looks like it's not in the HDPVR firmware.
Just sayin...