[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 23:27:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:
> There are probably people like me that just haven't chimed in.  I've had an HDPVR for about 5 months, and only had the 0 byte file happen once.
>
> I didn't track any details so I can't really contribute....but I'm interested!!
>
> How can I tell if my model has the fan?  (What hardware revision has the fans??)
>
> MD

The first generation HD-PVR's overheated, so for the second generation
they added a fan (rev c something).  For the third generation (rev d
something, or maybe it was rev e?) they improved the design such that
a fan was not needed any more.

One of mine is a rev c2 and it has a fan.  My other one is a rev e
something and it does not.

My rev e works more reliably than my rev c2.  When I say it works more
reliably, I mean that Myth does not have to "reset" the recording
state on the rev e in the middle of recording much.  The rev c2
occasionally needs the recording state reset in the middle of a
recording.

Like I said before, I only get lock-ups that require a power-cycle
about once every two months.

Some "improvements" have been made to the HD-PVR driver within the
last several months.  I don't know if any kernel actually includes
those improvements, though.  If someone wanted to try an experiment,
they could try downloading the latest v4l2 driver and install in place
of the one that is shipping with their kernel.  Maybe it would help?

The HD-PVR linux driver had to be reverse engineered.  Hauppauge was
not able to help with the linux driver development because of an
agreement they had (have?) with the primary chip vendor.  So, it is
possible that there are still areas in which it could be improved.
That being said, I was one of the first linux HD-PVR users and I have
never had much trouble -- it has generally just worked for me, and I
am very grateful to Janne for the effort it took to write the driver
for the linux community.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.