[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 23:33:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Bobby Gill wrote:

>       Far more alarming is the load_cycle_count attribute, which
>       probably started
>
>       at 100 and is now 18 (after 829207 load cycles).  My guess is
>       that the OP
>       has left the APM settings at default.  Personally, for laptop
>       drives, I
>       write a little ACPID script which disables hard disc APM
>       whenever the laptop
>       is on AC power. I've also found it necessary to do something
>       similar on my
>       new MythTV box which uses 2TB WD Caviar Black drives.
>

> Could you elaborate on this? For the drive in question (my laptop), I had
> used Windows 7 for the longest before installing Arch on it recently and
> using Windows sparsely now but for company apps that don't jive with
> wine/*nix. In the Windows power settings I have it set to never idle the HD.
> In linux now, I haven 't set anything for it either, I am using
> laptop-mode-tools (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools).
> If you'll check the Hard Disk section of that link, I have implemented that
> command to 254. If you can recommend an improved means of handling the HD
> spin/power management by all means I'd like to do that, as I have not
> configured it at all really beyond that.

I'm not sure how you want me to elaborate; essentially I have acpid poll
/proc/acpi/ac_adapter/AC/state and run hdparm -S 0 -B 255 when on AC, and
something that spins down after a while when on battery. I seem to recall
you can get the laptop mode tools to do the same thing, but it's been a
while since I've used them.

If it's a desktop, you can just run that command on all your drives from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

> Thanks
> Bobby

HTH,