[mythtv-users] Exiting near end of still-recording program results in no bookmark set

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:48:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM, John Veness
> <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk> wrote:
>> I have the setting "Action on playback exit: Save position and exit".
>> This saves a bookmark when I press Esc while playing a recording,
>> allowing me to resume from where I left off.
>>
>> However, if I start playing a program while it is still being recorded,
>> and skip right up to the end (or as close to the edn as I can get, which
>> is a few seconds before the end), then press Esc, a bookmark is *not*
>> set. This means that when I play the recording again, it starts from the
>> beginning rather than when I got up to.
>>
>> I often "chase play" recordings like this, like sporting events, where I
>> start playing the program late and skip through the adverts, and catch
>> up to the live broadcast. It's OK if I continue playing, but if I stop,
>> no bookmark is set and it's annoying when it happens. The workaround is
>> to pause or skip back a few seconds before stopping, but I keep
>> forgetting to do so.
>>
>> I think this problem is new in 0.23 or 0.24. It certainly happens now
>> with up-to-date 0.24-fixes, and I certainly don't recall it happening in
>> 0.22 and earlier (I only used 0.23 for a day or two).
>>
>> I've searched in trac but can't find a ticket about this. I just wanted
>> to check here before raising one. Do other people see this?
>
> I see this with trunk up to yesterday. I do the same thing with
> sports, and sually what happens to me is I catch up to the end (most
> often I just don't notice it) and if I jump forward more than what is
> left in the recording (for instance, I have my down arrow set to jump
> 2 minutes forward, so if there is say only one minute left in the
> in-progress recording) then it will jump to the end (or very close to
> it), play for two or three seconds, then automatically exit playback,
> and not save a bookmark. Slightly annoying, but I deal with it. It is
> easily reproducible if logs are wanted.

TV::PrepareToExitPlayer() won't set a bookmark if IsNearEnd() is true,
which must be what's happening here.  Probably an additional test on
the recording state should be added, like:

        if (bookmark_it && (!ctx->player->IsNearEnd() ||
StateIsRecording(GetState(ctx))))
            ctx->player->SetBookmark();

The following test on db_auto_set_watched probably needs similar treatment.

I can test this later, or maybe someone else would want to try it out sooner.

Jim