[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 20:13:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Brian Long wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>       Looking at hard drives on Newegg (I'm Canadian):
>
>       http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317
>       ^^ This is a WD Green 1TB/32mb cache for $74.99
>
>       http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514
>       ^^ This is a WD Green 2TB/64MB cache for $84.99
>
>       Admittedly I'm fairly out of the loop with hardware news and the market, but is this "just the way it is" for
>       the time or is there something else going on? Is the 2TB flawed? 4/5 eggs with 830 reviews, same rating as the
>       1TB.
>

> I recommend you read the following post and the associated TLER posts before putting WD Green drives in a RAID array:
> http://shifteightgeneration.com/content/wdtler-fix-tler-setting-wd-desktop-hard-drives

Depends on the type of RAID array one is using. TLER shouldn't really be a
big deal with Linux software (md) RAID, as if it encounters a read error,
it'll immediately try to read the sector from another device in the array
and re-write it to the device that failed (search for 'read error' in the md
manpage).  md doesn't timeout discs like some hardware controllers do:
<http://osdir.com/ml/linux-raid/2009-09/msg00108.html>.

For hardware RAID controllers that get sniffy about the slightest glitch, it
might be useful.

For non-RAID, and RAID0 applications (i.e. where there is never a duplicate
copy of data on a given drive), TLER is positively harmful and should be
disabled.

> /Brian/

Best Regards,
Alex