[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Michael Jones mythtv at michaelandholly.com
Wed Mar 2 20:49:40 UTC 2011

Because, ultimately, it's not that simple and it's not that standard across
themes.  A themer has flexibility to define base fonts as well as inherited
fonts for just about everything on the screen.  How do you suggest that we
account for all those permutation programatically?  You can't just change a
base font to achieve the result because other fonts may inherit from it
and/or override the font size elsewhere in the theme (at least I believe
this is how it works based on my limited understanding of the theme files).
So how does the software account for all those options?  And spending them
time to build such a "tool" isn't very well served when the same thing is
already possible with a text editor and some basic understanding of how the
themes are constructed.  As someone concerned about how their system looks,
you seem to have a desire to devote at least a modicum of effort into
learning the basics of themes, enough so that you could, within a short
time, be able to change various pieces of your favorite theme to achieve the
result *you* desire.  I have done this with my own system to tweak a few
things I don't like about my current theme.   Not only does this type of
change solve your problem but I would hope that those that go down this path
may someday want to take the additional steps to create their own themes and
contribute them back to the community once they see what can be done with
them.  On the flip side, it probably also has the effect of introducing
those "on the sidelines" of theme development to appreciate how much work it
actually takes to get a theme "just right".

I agree, to a point.  Some kind of huge programmatic change would not be
well served but maybe some sort of "standards" might.

If it's "not that easy" currently then what would it take to make it "that
easy"?   Flexibility has it's limitations.. if you bend too far.. you may
just break.   Maybe some sort of "standards" documentation where theme
designers are completely free to design to their own standards, ideas,
strategies and even graphical whims.. but if they want their theme to be
part of the "standard" accepted group then they would agree to design within
certain standards.. in this case, limited or standardized inheritance rules
for font size?

I agree that taking the time to learn how themes work might lead someone
down the path of taking the additional step to create their own theme, and
contribute to the community.. however, if themes are to retain their current
form it may also just propagate themes that have the same issues as all of
the others that came before.. and not actually improve the overall
experience or truly contribute something new or better.

2)  A way to adapt a theme for different size screens
(16:9/4:3/Big/Small/etc)

Highly unlikely given the reasons already discussed about this process when
those exact settings were removed in favor of the current configuration.

I'm not suggesting the adoption of "those exact" settings at all, but a new
set of settings that would add some dynamic "intelligence" to the new way of
applying/creating/adapting themes.