[mythtv-users] migrating from analog cable to digital cable (Cogeco), recheduling on new tuners and removing existing tuner

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 2 20:59:24 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 12:46 AM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 11:16 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>    Ok got the first tuner to scan, dropped the encrypted channels, the
> scan reported 59 off airchannels, which it suggested to delete all,
> done; 21 new non-conflicting SCTE channels, which it suggested to insert
> all, done; 28 new non-conflicting MPEG Channels, whoic it suggested to
> insert all, done.
>

>> After dropping the encrypted channels, the best method is to use the
>> 'Preview Lineup' screen at Schedules Direct (using Cogeco Cable Digital
>> for this), and match up the streams your scan shows as being unencrypted.

>    Schedules Direct offers lineups for Cogeco Digital, is it not just
> possible to add the digital feeds for mythfilldatabase, after creating a
> separate input for the digital tuner(s) and have that do the dirty work?

That should work. Only problem which can arise, is when Cogeco moves a
digital channel whether or not they change the virtual channel number.
Then its real channel changes and it may take a day or two for the
corrections to float through.

>    Noted thanks, btw after addinf the channels and running a fill
> database (which hung/crashed/got axed by me for taking too damn long),
> I've noticed that some of the digital channels have lineup info, by the
> logs indicate that mythfilldatabase is only getting info for one input
> and not both.

Go through the setup again and make sure that you have everything
entered properly. If you are feeding *both* sides of the HDHR from the
same cable, then you need TWO tuner entries, but only ONE source. And
both tuners are then 'attached' to the same source.

Only if you are using DIFFERENT channel lineups on the separate tuners
would you have/need different sources.

Just remember that myth acts on the assumption that any tuner attached
to any particular source, can record ALL of the channels listed for that
source.
So, for example, you would need THREE sources/lineups if you had three
tuners, one dedicated to analog, one dedicated to unencrypted QAM and
one receiving input from a SetTopBox, *EVEN THOUGH ALL THREE GET THEIR
INPUT FROM THE SAME CABLE FEED*.

HTH

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury