[mythtv-users] Full screen time display, with screen on

Brian Kirkman bkirkman at qwest.net
Thu Mar 3 04:23:28 UTC 2011

On 3/2/2011 9:23 PM, Dave M G wrote:
> MythTV users,
>
> What I'd like to be able to hit a button on my remote, and have a full
> screen display of the time and date.
>
> Ideally, I could do this when in any MythTV menu screen, but also if the
> screen is off, to have it come on.
>
> The display would either stay up until I hit a button, or time out after
> a short while. Or both.
>
> Is this possible? I did look on the net, but most clock/MythTV
> discussions seemed to be about where time should be displayed within the
> interface, not as a separate screen.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dave,

I think something could be scripted using XOSD / osd_cat.  I don't have
such a script, but I'll bet someone will come up with one :)  Challenge
on!!  Do you want the time display to be overlaid on the current
background, or do you want the background to turn black (or whatever
color you prefer)?  I think XOSD will only overlay the text.  Let's see
what we can come up with.

-Brian