[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 10:33:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Fedor Pikus wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> I don't like parity RAID, but that's because I've seen poor write
>> performance be a botttleneck in real-world performance.  Yes,
>> capacity/£ is
>

> I have a RAID5 made of old 750G WD drives (which were actually some of the
> faster drives when I bought them), write speed is about 130-140MB/s. A pair
> of Seagate 1.5TB Barracudas in RAID-0 give 205MB/s. How much faster do you
> want in a desktop?

That's pretty good; my experience with parity RAID has been with hardware
RAID controllers where the write performance has been truly miserable (a few
10s of MB/s). Yet another example of how the embedded processors used in
most hardware RAID controllers have fallen behind software RAID running on
the main CPU (providing you have a core to spare).

Best Regards,
Alex