[mythtv-users] missing recordings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Mar 3 17:27:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 06:42 AM, Justin Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last week I had several missed recordings. The shows were in the
>> "Watch Recordings" list, but the files did not exist. During this
>> period, some shows recorded fine.
>
> This generally happens when the capture card doesn't give any data to
> mythbackend (but doesn't provide any errors to say things aren't working).
>
> See (and please provide information on)
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1687846 .

This is the #1 MythTV bug in my opinion.  Not that the recording fails
(which might be unavoidable), but that MythTV doesn't notice, puts it
in Watch Recordings, doesn't attempt to record future showings of that
title, and requires the end user to clean it up.  Ditto with short
recordings (getting 10 minutes of video on a 1-hour scheduled program
isn't seen by MythTV as a problem).

It happens quite frequently to me.  When I was on Comcast it happened
very frequently with certain channels over recorded over firewire.
There was a supposition that the 5C state of the channel was
switching, even if only briefly, and this was throwing off the
recording.  Since I've switched to Verizon and have a new STB, it
happens far less often, but the rate still hasn't gone to zero.

I didn't know about the Ubuntu forum thread.  I'll update it with some
specifics of my cases.

In the mean time, the best I can suggest is to use this script to help clean up:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py

Eric