[mythtv-users] missing recordings

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:33:58 UTC 2011

> You shouldn't be doing direct database editing.  You should use the
> Python bindings, which know how to properly delete and allow re-record.

Thanks, this is great!  Unfortunately, I don't know much Python, but
it shouldn't take too long for me to whip something up.

>> But frequently, the same show/episode is also available on another
>> channel/tuner airing at the same time.  If MythTV could somehow detect
>> the failed recordings, it could immediately start recording on the
>> other tuner/channel with a few seconds/minutes missing from the start.
>
> Scheduling doesn't operate in a vacuum.  What you're asking is /much/
> more complex that it seems.  Later reschedule might be ok, but trying to
> automatically detect a failure and immediately move the recording to a
> new tuner (and, through changing placement of recordings, affect future
> recordings) is a recipe for disaster.

I agree that it can be a complicated issue -- but consider what
happens if someone is watching LiveTV and then hits the record key.  A
recording is immediately started on the channel being viewed.

Maybe the failure detection could work in a similar manner -- only
"re-record" if an unused tuner is available for the remainder of the
show.

If I happened to notice that a currently airing show failed to record,
that is what I would do; I would flip to an available tuner via LiveTV
and hit R and hopefully capture what is left of the show..