[mythtv-users] New IPTV setup

Scott Cunningham scott at netaddicted.ca
Fri Mar 4 16:29:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 22:27 +0200, Per Lundberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading this thread with some interest now, since I'm having
> quite "interesting" problems with MythTV related to IPTV (see this
> thread:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-December/305163.html)
>
> The basic problem right now, before starting to mess with the beast
> again tonight is that "the first channel works" (!) when tuning in to
> IPTV. When changing to another channel on the same IPTV provider, it
> gives me the ugly "Error opening program jump file" or similar error.
>
> What I did some days ago was to change the networking so that my
> mythtv backend has a "real" IP address (non-NAT:ed), but this hasn't
> helped unfortunately.
>
> Tonight, I also tried messing around with the .m3u as described below
> (using rtp:// instead of udp:// which I was previously having, but NOT
> with the @ sign which MythTV doesn't seem to like), but it didn't
> work. I changed back - it still doesn't work. Now it doesn't even tune
> a single IPTV channel... :-/
>
> The -v channel log doesn't give me that much, unfortunately. I did
> some packet capturing (using tcpdump) and it seems to start
> subscribing to the multicast stream. It just fails to show it in
> mythtv. :-(
>
> How on earth can this be so hard to get working? With VLC or mplayer,
> it works immediately, with the same URL (but after insering an @ sign
> like this: udp://@233.60.167.19:1111
>
> With MythTV, this should be udp://233.60.167.19:1111 but not even this
> works any more. I've seriously considered buying a DVB-T card, just to
> get around this, but it feels... stupid. Blargh! Any ideas, from
> anyone, are highly appreciated. TIA.
>
> Best regards,
> Per Lundberg

I feel your pain.

The way Mythtv works (to my understanding which is still limited), it
spools the stream to a file then the internal player plays the file.
This gives you the ability to pause and rewind live tv.   I think this
is the jump file the error is referring to.  You may want to check the
livetv directory / group to see if the file is being created or is
empty.

Guru's can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott