[mythtv-users] 0.24 Mac OS X Build

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 19:27:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>>I just updated my Mac Mini with the build from the 16th, and it is
>>>definitely a big improvement.  1080i was working fine, and it seemed
>>>to be stable.
>>>
>>>720p video almost worked.    It was playing, and even playing smoothly
>>>for a time.  But, it quickly gets into the mode where it spews the
>>>"video is 3.x frames behind audio, dropping frames".     Depending on
>>>the scene, sometimes it's not obvious from watching the video that
>>>frames are being dropped.   In sports programs it is more evident.
>>>Note that this is seen when running "mythfrontend -v playback,libav"
>>>via an ssh session.
>>
>> You've probably said before, but what are the hardware specs on the frontend, backend and network?  What is the source you're recording?  What playback settings are you using?  Analog or digital audio?
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to try out .24-fixes since the latest patches.  (Darn work getting in the way of hobbies!  ;-)
>
> It's a Mac Mini -- 2009 version, Nvidia chipset, 4GB RAM, 2GHz
> Core2Duo CPU, analog audio.
> Connected to an Optoma 720p projector via MiniDVI->HDMI.
> The recordings are all U.S. broadcast MPEG2.  The problem recordings
> are from the San Fran ABC and Fox channels, KGO and KTVU.
>
> Backend is a Linux Atom/Ion box.   I also have a Linux frontend
> setting next to the Mac Mini, which runs Mythbuntu.  It plays all the
> recordings perfectly.  I have also replicated the same 720p playback
> issues on my 17" MacBook Pro (8GB/2.66GHz).

I have an almost identical frontend setup, 2009 Mini outputting
MiniDVI->HDMI to a 720p display, so it's not surprising that I'm
seeing the exact same issues with KGO and KTVU.  Two observations:
- I notice that the playback improves (and the FE log messages
subside) if I change the focus of the mac by command-tabbing to
another app, such as the Finder.  This lasts for ~10 seconds before
the problem returns
- I also noticed that the FE log error messages are the same as I see
if I try and use digital audio (speakers to "5.1" from "stereo").
However, this results in accelerated playback for all types of content
(see http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5552)

Do you know if there is a ticket open for this issue?