[mythtv-users] jerky video and sound problems with live tv and recorded tv internal player only.

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Mon Mar 7 16:55:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:14:49 -0600 Carl <crazy at wi.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a similar problem.  I just upgraded from 0.20 to the current
> top of the git repository and the playback of everything (movies,
> recordings, music) is too fast (expect LiveTV where the video is
> correct but the audio cuts in and out).  The pitch of the audio is
> correct so the sample rate should be right but it skips forward
> staying in sync.  With the version upgrade I replaced a dead 7600gs
> with a geforce 210 so I could use VDPAU but the problem occurs
> whether it's enabled or not.  My CPU is also an Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> and the audio device is an Nvidia MCP51 HDA with a Realtek ALC883
> codec and I use the SPDIF output but the problem still happens even
> if I use the analog output.  If I play any of the recordings with
> Xine there aren't any problems.
>
> When I use debugging I get a lot of "Video is 4.0644 frames behind
> audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up" followed by
> "'video_output' mean = '20208.52', std. dev. = '16111.62', fps =
> '49.48'"  despite the fact the source video is 30 fps and when I
> watch an HD progressive scan video it plays back at about 85fps.

Your setup sounds very similar to mine.  I'm currently not having any problems since moving to VDPAU.  I sending audio out to spdif and analog, I've noticed the analog is a bit behind the spdif but it's clean and I just use one or the other not both anyway.

Are you certain you have mythtv compiled with VDPAU support?  The playback profile will show up whether you have that enabled or not, although I expect you would have seen errors.

Have you tried playing back recorded shows via mplayer?  I think it really helps to narrow down the problem, if you can confirm it's with the internal player then messing around with the playback profiles may be the best bet.

--
Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek.