[mythtv-users] Running MythTV backend as root

Rob Wilson robwilson at robstechconsulting.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 14:39:14 UTC 2011

Hello,
I am running Mythtv 0.24 from the Debian Multimedia archive.  I have
been having persistent trouble running the backend reliably for quite a
while now and have been running it as root from within a terminal window
in order to understand why.  I have found that running it as root
provides much better performance and I have hardly had any livetv
crapping out episodes.  I have also noted that top is running at about
1.95 on a quad core processor.  I had seen this at greater than 10 in
the past whereupon the whole server would require rebooting

Ovbiously this must be a privileges thing but I don't understand where
it might be.  Any ideas folks?

Rob.