[mythtv-users] Comcast STB upgrade breaks firewire channel changing
gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 23:51:17 UTC 2011
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> ----- "Stephen Otto" <sotto at emsco.com> wrote:
>> From: Christopher Meredith [mailto:chmeredith at gmail.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:43 PM
>> To: Discussion about MythTV
>> Cc: Stephen Otto
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Comcast STB upgrade breaks firewire
>> channel changing
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Stephen Otto < sotto at emsco.com >
>> > About a week or two ago, Comcast sent out a ton of promotion
>> > pushing on-demand content. I didn't pay much attention to it. But
>> > shortly after that, they pushed a software update to my STB (Cisco
>> > RNG-150) that looks to be completely new. The layout and color of
>> > menus are completely different and the guide bears the "TV Guide"
>> > logo. Anyway, this update also broke firewire channel changing. I
>> > been using 'mythchanger' with the -f 6 option to great effect. Now
>> > does not work at all. The script detects and unknown STB, but cannot
>> > change channels on it.
>> > Has anyone run into this? Is there a solution? Does anyone know
>> > anything about this software "upgrade?"
>> For the last month plus, my firewire capability has stopped work
>> for exactly the same reason. I had it working for almost 3 years
>> prior to that -- and hadn't changed anything when it stopped working.
>> I too would love to hear if anyone has solved this. BTW: see thread
>> wire%20channel%20change ;#457642
>> What are you using for a channel change script? 6200ch? If so, any
>> that Comcast changed the Vendor ID or Model ID in your STB to
>> something new
>> with the update?
> I was using sa3250hd script and tried the mythchanger script.
>> I've been using the mythchanger script referenced in the thread linked
>> above. I cycled through all the options to no avail. I've been
>> assuming that it shouldn't matter if Comcast only changed the Vendor
>> or Model IDs because those merely identify the device to the computer.
>> I've been using the -f option in mythchanger to force the protocol it
>> uses, so detection of the device should be irrelevant. Am I right
>> about that?
>> I’m not 100% sure but I know that I needed to update the code to get
>> my box working (although I am not sure if originally I was using the
>> –f option or not at the time). Try running mythchanger with a –v
>> option and see what it reports.
> I tried this and got:
> ./mythchanger -c 220 -v
> mythchanger .10f beta
> Acquiring firewire handle... OK.
> 1 port(s) found
> Acquiring handle on port 0... 1 devices detected.
> STB Vendor ID: 0x1947 Model ID: 0x0be0, Scientific Atlanta Model SA3250HD
> Skipping empty node 1
> 1 STB(s) found:
> STB 1: port=0, node=0, changer=1, GUID=0x0019472d784a0000
> Note: it didn't change channels...
Look at my email in this thread, where I link to a prior email sent to
the list detailing what to do this information. Once you have the
Vendor ID and Model ID, you will need to use that information to
modify the source code and recompile. It sounds daunting, but it is
very easy. I can't code and I try not to install from source because
I seem to always have make error out on me, but this worked fine.
More information about the mythtv-users