[mythtv-users] Using Handbrake to transcode recordings to an iPhone

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 14:18:14 UTC 2011

I found a thread yesterday that discussed this, so I thought I'd give it
a try since I just got a Verizon iPhone, and thought it would be neat to
bring a few recordings with me to watch during my lunch break at work.
I installed Handbrake on my backend, and ran the following command:

./HandbrakeCLI -i <file> -o <file>.mp4 --preset="iPhone & iPod Touch"

That created an mp4 file that I got down to my Windows box.  When I try
to use iTunes to put it on to my iPhone,  I get an error saying that the
file could not be imported since it cannot be played on the iPhone
(something like that; I'm paraphrasing).

Has anyone had much luck or success getting recordings transcoded for,
and on to, an iPhone?  Specifically an iPhone 4?  The iPhone OS version
is 4.2.6 if that matters.  I also have it jail-broken too.

Thanks!
Harry