[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

Matt Harrison iwasinnamuknow at genestate.com
Wed Mar 9 18:48:22 UTC 2011

On 09/03/2011 18:33, tim draper wrote:
> i had a similar issue; speaker-test and the alsamixer text-base setup said
> things should of been working fine. however i would get no sound or volume
> level in the X environment. Nvidia 210 here, using HDMI.
>
> the fix?
> do you have /etc/asound.conf present?
>
> i found mine was missing, so after a quick nano with the following inserted
> into it, things worked fine!
>
> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave.pcm {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 7
>> }
>> }
>

> the card and device values need to be set according to your hardware and
> what you used in speaker-test. im using the the 1.0.24 alsa driver release.
> Weirdly, i had this working pretty flawlessly last week before reinstalling
> mythbuntu. then i encountered these issues. took me ages to find this info
> too, i think i just ended up trying anything 'alsa' and 'no sound' related
> rather than nvidia/hdmi specific.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I have unfortunately tried a ton of different
things in asound.conf including something very similar to yours above.
This is what makes it such a frustrating problem, it SHOULD work :P

I've just been testing with the .asoundrc from the XBMC LiveCD (the only
time the HDMI audio works) but no joy. I think it got me one step
closer, but there's still a chasm to get across.

I'm not 100% sure that any part of the setup is correct. I'm almost
certain the modules/kernel are ok. The mixer...well there's so many
different people out there with different channels, the information is a
bit confusing.

I've got the usual analog channels, plus the 3 S/PDIFs (the third of
which I understand to be the HDMI) and I'm really not sure if I've got
that set up right.

And there's probably still other parts I am overlooking, but it's all
starting to blur together now :D

Anyway, thanks for your input, I appreciate any ideas at this stage.

Matt