[mythtv-users] MythTV backend running on NVIDIA Ka-el, 35W replaced by

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:13:46 UTC 2011

On 9 March 2011 16:37, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 03/09/2011 11:26 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 03/09/2011 02:07 AM, Gary Dawes wrote:
> >> two of the main reasons I went (besides saving money) for the
> >> pogoplug, was that I wanted mythweb  availability when I am at work,
> >> or out and about (in case I need to set something to record), and that
> >> wakeonlan was a lot more reliable for me than ACPI wakeup on a single
> >> machine. I can add a torrent server, home automation (just bought a
> >> telldus tellstick) etc to the pogoplug....
> > So, since the "ACPI wakeup" actually just runs a script, have that
> > script--on a real master backend with real hardware that can actually do
> > the job--send a message to some underpowered, always-on hardware (the
> > PogoPlug) and have it wake-on-lan the master backend when it's time for
> > the next recording.
> >
> > You could also set up the web server to accept a request that triggers
> > the wake-on-lan so you can get to your MythWeb.
>
> Seems I was remiss in pointing out an off-the-shelf "real-hardware"
> system that idles at the same 10W as your underpowered hardware:  the
> Mac Mini.
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3468
>
> Mike

 I appreciate your comments , but to be fair I would hardly call a 1.2Ghz
Arm underpowered. The box is perfectly up to running as a web and database
server, and I have been monitoring sine I move the db across to it and it
has never broken into a sweat. The system with the tuners in is a dual core
athlon x64, and never does any other than idle. in almost 8 years I have
never commflagged a program, and have not transcoded anything in at least
two years or for that matter done anything else intensive since dumping
software encoding BTTV cards for hardware encoding cards several years ago.
The only thing which hits the box hard is mythfilldatabase, which runs at
about 2am when I am asleep.

I found that none of the ACPI wakeup scripts would actually run reliably and
repeatedly on my gigabyte motherboard. I think the damn thing just is flaky,
and in hindsight was a bad call.

Granted the Mac mini will idle at 10W, but it is is ten times the cost at
about £600.
If I had my way I would have a piece of server hardware running
virtualisation software such as VMware ESXi and have seperate VMs for the
different processes,  but the WAF on that is quite low.